Friday, August 22, 2008

Ramana Maharishi-An Anecdote

My grand father was a class mate of the Bhagwan in Dindigul.. He narrated this incident to me.

Due to some family tiff, my father went to Ramanasram to see the Swami with a view to obtain Sannyaasa.As he was Swami’s classmate’s son, he was always welcome to the presence of the Swami.

On meeting him, the swami enquired of him. My father informed the Bhagwan that he has decided to become a sannyaasi and that Bhagwan should anoint him as one. The Swami did not reply. He asked him to wait in the Prayer Hall where he was giving Darshan.My father was waiting for hours. He was feeling hungry as he was accustomed to eating by 8.30 am. The practice at the Ashram was that food will be served to all after Swami left the hall and he would go around the dining room,supervising.As one would have it, the Swami, who used to leave the hall around 12noon, did not leave till 3pm that day .My father was upset.

Finally Swami left. My father immediately rushed to the Dining Hall and started eating. Swami came to him and asked him to eat well.
After the meal was over, Swami sent for my father and told him;
“Have eaten to the full? I saw you were unable to bear with hunger. How are you going to master your senses? Do not think Sanyaasa is easy. It is not a route to escape from your duties. Also, remember, being in the family and doing what one can to the family is also a yoga.If you have any problems at home, go and face it. I have asked the mutt people to give you money to go home. Next time, when you come here come with your family.”

When my father met him next time with my mother I was in the womb of my mother. Swami blessed my parents. I was named after him.
The unique fact about Bhagwan was that he never used have so- called sishyaas to follow him. His stock answer was that if you are hungry, only you can eat. So if you want to realize Brahman, you have to strive on your own.There is no fixed formula.

Ramanan

No comments: