Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Relationships

We find disharmony in relationships.Conflicts between husband and wife,chidren with parents and between friends, at a personal level.
Cause: We expect them to behave the way we want them to behave. When they do not comply, we get upset.
This assumes two premises.1.That the standard of behaviour I have in my mind is Absolute.But, I forget that the Absolute Standard I have in my mind need not neceessrrily be correct.
2.That the Standard I have in mind is acceptable to those around me. I forget that they may have their own standards which may be at variance with ours.Such being the case expecting behaviour acceptable to me is illogical
Again, my behaviour is not perfect or acceptable to those around me,is a fact.
As I do, they also have the privilege to expect a Standard of behaviour from me.That standard is set by them .Do I live upto it? No.
Hence to accept people as they are is the correct approach to avoid discord.Remember,we have been without them at some point of time/we have acquired the relationships only at a certain point of Time.When we have been without them/when they are out of sight, what has been our position?We simply do not bother.
The correct approach is to remember these facts and accept people as they are.

No comments: